Monday

Los Angeles County Museum of Art

I visited the Los Angeles County Museum of Art on Sunday March 6th. It was a more pleasant than my last museum that I visited which was the Norton Simon. Upon arriving, it kind of sucked that I had to pay for parking and admission! Since at the Norton Simon Museum, parking and admission was free for me. Unfortunately I did not have time to visit every single building since I had to hurry home and go to work. For the time I was there I definitely enjoyed myself! Very peaceful atmosphere.

The first building I visited was the Pavilion for Japanese Art. I enjoyed looking at all the works of art and figures in this building because of how big and spread out the paintings were. While walking through the Japanese Art, I noticed a lot of the printings of Utagawa Hiroshige. Hiroshige was one of the artists that one of my group members was assigned to write about for module one. I enjoyed looking at more of printings in person. The first painting that caught my attention in the Japanese Art building was a piece by Imanaka Soyu titled Birds and Flowers. I enjoyed this painting because it was so large and colorful to look at. I walked up to the painting the first time to look at it and saw so many different elements. Then on the way back down through the collection, I stopped and looked at it again, finding so many other elements that I did not notice before. I felt like I could identify to this painting because I wish I could be free with as little care as possible like the birds in the picture. They have their own paradise that they call home and I wish I could be apart of that.





The next building I made my way towards was the Bing Center, only to find out that it is only an auditorium and not a building with any actual collections. After being mistaken, I head over to the Art of the Americas Building. I knew I would enjoy this building because I find American art to be more relate-able to me. I immediately took the elevator to the third floor which displayed the American art and right away I saw clothes! Ha and I love clothes!




While looking at the collection, I noticed that most of items that appeared behind the glass were beach or summer types of clothing. Starting from the left is swimsuit entitled Catalina Sportswear. The middle piece was designed by Margit Fellegi and it is a playsuit. The last piece is also a swimsuit made by Rose Marie Reid. One of the things I noticed about the articles of clothing was that they were very form fitting and meant to show off a woman's curves and body. They were also very small and dainty. I feel this identified me because it reminded me of the old pictures my grandma used to show me back when she was in her early 20's on the beach at Coney Island. She wore similar outfits as the ones shown above. It brought back good memories because she would always enjoy sharing her good times with me.



While continuing to look through the American Art because I enjoyed it so much, I saw another painting that caught my attention. It was Paul Cadmus' Coney Island. It is an oil on canvas painting that I felt I could relate to after talking about beauty in class last week. In the painting, all the women are painted as heavier set and over weight with obnoxious looks on their faces. But yet there are all different times of men in this picture. Some thin, some big, and about three with decent bodies. I find this picture so confusing that it was hard to even imagine what the artist was thinking when he created this painting. Here is a better picture of the painting so that you are able to see the color and detail that artist has created.


The next building I traveled to was the Hammer Building to where I noticed Korean Art. The only item that seemed to catch my attention in this building was box entitled Box with Birds, Plum Blossoms, and Floral Scrolls, which was made during the 18th century. The somewhat large box was so detailed with beautiful flowers that must have took someone so many days, weeks, or even months to complete. I feel like this box could identify me because I like anything that is detailed and with flowers. Also anything that looks like it took a great amount of time to make or create. 


The last building that I had time to visit was Ahmanson Building, where I took a look at Modern Art. This was my second favorite building to look through after the Art of the Americas Building. While walking through the collections, I saw two pieces of Jackon Polluck side by side. It felt good to actually know one artist out of the thousands of artists that have work at the museum. The one painting I felt identified me was a painting by Georges Rouault called Head of Christ. Even though I felt that the painting was not all that detailed, I liked it because it wasn't all that detailed. I felt it was simple and to the point. I felt this painting could identify me because in a way, I feel as though it is a little blurry when you look at the picture. I feel as though that is the way I see my faith. My faith is there and I believe, but just do not fully understand everything that is going on.


I enjoyed my time at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I would one day like to go back to visit the other buildings that I had missed my first time around. I also saw other museums around the area that looked like would also be a good ones to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment