Wednesday

3/2/11

First class of March! It seems like time is going by fast, but it really isn't ha. The main focus in today's class was beauty. With that being said, Glenn then presented some new information on freemind. One of the first thing Glenn mentioned about beauty is that it is a subject that constantly brought up. We then discussed the key beauty questions. There were several of them but two key questions that Glenn talked about out loud. The one question that stood out to me was from Plato stating "Does beauty exist objectively in things?" I would have to say yes to Plato's question because some things only catch our eye because they are beautiful.

After the key beauty questions, Glenn went on to say that he prefers none of us to say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" because that is true in almost any person. I think he would like us to see something further then just the beauty in someone. We then moved back to freemind and started discussing more about Plato. Plato feels beauty is goodness and objective which I totally agree with. I also agree with the statement Plato made that said "initially you're drawn to the beauty of a single person". I can definitely say that is true for myself because the beauty that someone displays might be the first thing that catches your eye about that person. After talking about Plato, we then moved onto Aristotle. Aristotle believed in the world we actually live in and the world of real objects. One other interesting thing Aristotle said was that "beauty is about things having the appropriate form and order". I don't necessarily agree with this because beauty can be anything you want it to be. It does not need to have a form or order to be beauty or to be something perfect.

From freemind, we went onto to watching two small clips from the movie "Hamlet". I was not necessarily interested in Hamlet because I already had read the book and saw the movie in my senior year of high school and I did not understand it. Just not my thing. But I did enjoy when Glenn showed the class about Jason and deMarco. I think it is horrible that people say hurtful things about them just because they are gay. People will argue whether it goes against the Catholic or Christian religion, but I feel people should be who they are.

That is all for today. I need to get started on my identity project so see ya!

3 comments:

  1. Hamlet "just not my thing"!? O Megan. You wound me! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa... you know how it makes you type a word before you can post a comment? (actually I turned that off on my blog so YOU could comment easier)

    So my comment above had the word "Hamlet" in it... and the word blogger made me type was "slings" as in "and arrows of outrageous fortune" -- that can't be a coincidence, can it? I think Blogger is toying with me! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and while we're at it...

    Beware the ides of March! :))

    ReplyDelete